Gemini season is upon us at last. A time, here in the Northern hemisphere, when thoughts turn to the seaside, summer, the open road. This year that Gemini feel is just a little bit stronger, since lithe Mercury, Gemini’s ruler, and the Sun jump into the sign hand in hand, and Mercury will be here until June 4.
Why not engage with that Gemini vibe — even if you’re a deep-dyed Scorpio, or a caustic Capricorn?
So here are some suggestions to get you started. Remember: fun, wit and feather are Gemini words.
- Text, email, phone your siblings. You never know, they may have something interesting to say.
- Walk around your nearest city. And if you’re a city dweller, be curious. Explore some hidden corners of your neighbourhood. Go home a different route. Break your routine. This is not a time for nostalgia but for novelty, inventiveness.
- Indeed, simply be curious. Ask your colleague an awkward question, find out if your sister really did steal that thing, investigate your local library, go on an wiki-trail of insight.
- Read two books at the same time. Here are some classic twin/sibling books that I can recommend: Half of a Yellow Sun, A Tale of Two Cities, The God of Small Things, Midnight’s Children, The Brothers Karamazov, Pride and Prejudice, I Capture the Castle, The Poisonwood Bible, Wise Children, White Teeth, The Turn of The Screw…
- Play tennis, chess, go, bridge, badminton, backgammon, ping-pong. There are two reasons for this. One, Gemini helps hand-eye co-ordination, and two Gemini likes games that work in pairs.
- Learn the two-step.
- Make lists. You might be inspired by Sei Shonagon, author of The Pillow Book. She was a courtesan in 10th century Japan and amused herself by jotting down her thoughts and observations. One of her methods was to create list, such as Elegant Things, Hateful Things, Things That Make Your Heart Beat Faster, Rare Things….
- Pick a couple of arguments with yourself.
- Watch two of these movies about twins, siblings, identity switches etc — The Parent Trap, Dead Ringers, All About Eve, Pather Panchali, The Prestige, The Godfather, Dark Mirror, The Man in Iron Mask, Cries and Whispers, Sense and Sensibility, Raising Arizona, A Zed and Two Noughts, Trading Places, Sliding Doors, Freaky Friday, Ran, Adaptation, Fanny and Alexander, East of Eden. Or go see Twelfth Night or a Comedy of Errors.
- Write two pieces of flash fiction.
- Camp it up a bit. Remember Gemini is the sign of the harlequin, a masquerader, an actor, a storyteller, a poseur. Or at least watch an episode of Pose.