Dickens

February 8, 2017

Dickens Dream — Robert Buss

Dickens Dream — Robert Buss

It’s Charles Dickens birthday today. He lived the potential of his chart well.

Writer and storyteller

Virgo Rising, Gemini MC
You see this combination quite often in writer’s charts. Both signs are ruled by Mercury, the planet of communications.

Jupiter in Gemini, Jupiter in the 10th
Jupiter (a little widely) on the point of a Yod from Mercury and Uranus
North Node in Virgo
Virgo is also good for editing. Here the Node points to his destiny

Mercury on the point of an equilateral triangle from Uranus and Pluto.
Uranus does often seem to feature strongly in the charts of fiction writers — although I haven’t checked this extensively. It may be the way this planet plays with time that has an influence.

A vast imagination

Moon-Neptune conjunction on the IC in Sagittarius
An imaginative well without limit in the sign of big ideas.

Aquarius Sun
Gives an ability (sometimes) to create big structures.

North Node in the 12th
Connecting to the collective.

Pluto-Venus conjunction in Pisces
Another sign without limits.

Jupiter Retrograde
Able to look inward — although, of course, he was also a showman with Jupiter in the 10th.

Prolific & Producer of long works

Jupiter in the 10th, Jupiter in Gemini
Sun in Aquarius
Moon-Neptune in Sagittarius

Philanthropist

Jupiter trine Chiron in Aquarius
Dickens was a champion of the poor, perhaps due to his own miserable experiences in childhood — although just as likely because he had eyes in his head and could see just how unjust Victorian England was.

Sun in Aquarius
Humanitarians to a man or woman — unless they’re not, of course.

Workaholic

Saturn in Capricorn square Mars in Aries
Dickens worked himself to death in the end.

Night Walker

Moon-Neptune in Sagittarius trine Mars in Aries
He liked to walk for miles and miles, sometimes walking through the night from London to his house in Kent (around 30 miles), and sometimes simply roaming the night streets of London.

authors, Books, writers

mike said:

Per your penultimate post regarding enjoying some culture with Jupiter in Libra, I should visit my local Half-Price Books to find some Dickens’ novels that I’ve delayed reading! Of course, no particular chart type is better than another, but I’ll contradict myself and say I’ve always thought the chart with most planets confined within five signs to be more rigorous with the potential for adversity bringing-out the best. Not only do the natal planets in those five signs produce positive and negative aspects among themselves, the slower, transiting planets will continually provide multiple aspects to several of the natal planets, both positive and negative, which rarely gives the native any aspect-free moments. The good with the bad, so to say. Many of his novels are thought to be semi-autobiographical and, of his novels I’ve read, I see the Jupiter opposed Saturn aspect clearly in his writing:
“Jupiter opposition Saturn: You tend to seesaw between hope, optimism, and faith versus doubt and oppression by limitations and practical realities.”

That is an interesting point re fewer signs. Do you mean from Scorpio to Aries in this case?

mike said:

Yes, though that is six signs for Dickens. I think of the planets confined-condensed within a trine (five signs) or sesquiquadrate (five or six signs), with each sign occupied. As in Dickens’ chart, each planet in these six signs makes at least two aspects, and all are extremely integrated among themselves and Jupiter. It’s difficult to obtain this level of positive and negative aspect integration with four or fewer signs, or when planets are more scattered in all signs. Any transiting planet in aspect with one of Dickens’ natal planets will make at least one more aspect to a natal planet, with those natal planets involved in natal aspects to other natal planets, both positive and negative.

BTW – His Moon-Neptune are quintile Chiron; Venus-Pluto are quintile Saturn; Mercury is close to quintile with Mars. Quintiles are creative, specialized aspects.

Eleonora said:

Working to death is probably also connected to the pluto in the 6th and the south node in the same house.

Pluto here is not only responsible for his own working ethics, but also for his critical view of the exploitation and work during the industrial revolution. It also represents his capability to transform the society in this field.

The opposition of nodes in houses 6th and 12th – loosing your body in order to protect and develop spiritually – echoes in his books, as much as in his life.

Interesting, writers very often do have a busy south node (unlike politicians, who rather have strong north node). Both Pluto and Venus in 6th are close to his south node and in the same house and sign.

Sun in the 5th is great for connecting with children, of course. In his case trough writing (ruler exalted in scorpio in 3rd, ) and storytelling (sun sextile neptune-moon in 3rd).

With that moon-neptune conjunction close to the IC, his soul on based in mercy. With its ruler in the 10th, he let the world touch that too.

Iris said:

Mm, night-walking is a great pleasure. Intrigued by how you see that in his interesting chart.

Zoe said:

I’m wondering where this birth time has come from? Was it on the birth certificate. I speak as an Englishwoman who works with a rectified chart as in England times were not (maybe they are now) recorded. Two of my children were born in Scotland and times are recorded there.

Chart is from astrodatabank with a Rodden rating of A.

From the website.
Source notes: Dr. Broughton in “Elements of Astrology” quotes him to Professor Wilson, an astrologer in London.”

(Lyndoe quotes him for 11:59 PM in AA 2/70. Same by Langton “Childhood and Youth of Charles Dickens” 1883, “about midnight.”)

(LMR prefers the Virgo rising chart due to the amount of detail and the quantity of characters in his novels, as well as his emphasis on social ills.)

Zoe said:

Aah. Thank you! Yes, the Virgo rising does make sense. He is wonderful to read. From the age of about 11 in northern England we read at school each year – A Shakespeare play, a Great Novel, A Great Poet. Great Expectations was one of the ones I read. Dickens is dense and yes, full of details and beautifully wrought characters. I think reading him at school showed me how to examine well and I did go on to read all the others!

Horoscopes

Horoscopes

These monthly horoscopes have been called "the most thorough and visually exciting" on the web -- by my Mum (just kidding). I can't remember who said that actually, but thanks. To see and read what we're talking about and to find out how to subscribe, click more below.

In order to fund this site, I will be charging from now on, but I'm sure you'll find the fee reasonable. Obviously, blog posts are still free.

I do love personal consultations.

I talk to people as far away as New Zealand, Hawaii and the Phillipines thanks to the wonders of the web. Oh and my friend next door pops in for an update every now and then. If you come in person, you do get a cup of tea and possibly a biscuit, as well as an astrological conversation, of course, but most people consultations take place via Skype or FaceTime.

To find out about booking and fees, click more below.