Clare Hollingworth’s Appointment With Destiny

January 11, 2017

Clare Hollingsworth at her typewriter. She found her vocation on her progressed lunar return.

It was August 1939 when 27-year-old Clare Hollingworth spotted rows and rows of German tanks, hidden under burlap on the German border . She might have been a rookie, but she knew a story when she saw it. She wired back to London warning “the German war machine is ready for a swift stroke”. Three days later, Germany invaded Poland.

Hollingworth’s report was called the “scoop of the century”.

Hollingworth stumbled into journalism. She’d gone to Poland initially as a political activist and ended up saving thousands of lives by getting visas for people fleeing Nazi persecution. But she’d  been forced out of that role and switched to journalism at the end of August in that fateful year. On the day she filed that story, she’d been a journalist for less than a week. But she spent the rest of the war reporting from the front lines from Poland to Tripoli. And the rest of her life reporting from all around the world, living to the grand age of 105.

What about that moment when her own destiny and the fate of Europe merged?

Well, here’s an extraordinary bit of astrology. On the day she saw those tanks, the Nodes of the Moon (destiny points) were at 0° Taurus/Scorpio. Hollingsworth Nodes are at 0° Scorpio/Taurus.

history

Lu Sadler said:

Saturn was in 1 degree of Taurus, conjunct her North Node in August 1939. Saturn turned retrograde on Aug 14, 1939, heading back to an exact conjunction by early Sept. Her natal Saturn was in 19*R of Taurus. So while not quite in her Saturn Return, Saturn was definitely setting her course. Her natal Mars is in Gemini. Perfect for a war correspondent.

Apparently she loved being in a battle!

Iris Horsey said:

Sounds like an open door or tunnel. Her Mars would have made here feel alive.

Anne Whitaker said:

That’s a stunning example of a Nodal appointment with Destiny, Christina. It bears out what I found in the people whose lives I chose to present my Nodal research study …

Thank you for pointing to you study Anne.

If anyone would like to know more — Anne’s study (first published in 1998) can be downloaded for free from this link https://astrologyquestionsandanswers.com/your-copy-of-the-moons-nodes-in-action/

Anne Whitaker said:

Hi Christina

many thanks for giving the study a plug – people are always extremely interested in the Nodes – it was my own fascination/obsession ( anything to do with my North Node exactly conjunct the MC , do you think? ) with the topic that caused me to write the study as the thesis for my Centre for Psychological Astrology Diploma in 1998. In 2015, a brilliant colleague who is a web designer resurrected the ancient files from techno-oblivion and published it beautifully for me. It really is my pleasure to offer it for free to fellow Node-obsessives out there!

Rollan McCleary said:

I am not seeing a chart for Claire Hollingsworth who was born 10th Oct 1911, but anyone with sufficient biographical facts could probably establish one rather easily. I should say she was virtually guaranteed to have been born sometime after midnight with Leo rising. The similarity to the mature looks of Libra sun, Leo rising actress Angela Lansbury is pretty striking and Leo rising would be almost necessary for the almost reckless boldness shown by Hollingworth.

I drew up her chart myself, but there is no birth time.

Horoscopes

Horoscopes

These monthly horoscopes have been called "the most thorough and visually exciting" on the web -- by my Mum (just kidding). I can't remember who said that actually, but thanks. To see and read what we're talking about and to find out how to subscribe, click more below.

In order to fund this site, I will be charging from now on, but I'm sure you'll find the fee reasonable. Obviously, blog posts are still free.

I do love personal consultations.

I talk to people as far away as New Zealand, Hawaii and the Phillipines thanks to the wonders of the web. Oh and my friend next door pops in for an update every now and then. If you come in person, you do get a cup of tea and possibly a biscuit, as well as an astrological conversation, of course, but most people consultations take place via Skype or FaceTime.

To find out about booking and fees, click more below.