What Aries Has To Teach Us: Erich Fromm and René Descartes

April 20, 2016

Aries is not a sign associated with philosophy — that is Sagittarian territory according to tradition. However, the Ram knows how to get to the essence of things. In fact, the father of modern western philosophy himself, René Descartes is an Aries Sun. His Sun conjuncts Uranus, the planet of rebellion and innovation, and indeed he upturned 2000 years of received wisdom when he sat down one evening by the fire and started to cogitate about what he really knew for sure, and what he just thought he knew.

Descartes famously realised that the only thing he could really be sure of was this: “I think therefore I am.”

His very methodical approach to ideas may have something to do with his Moon in Taurus.

The 20th century philosopher Erich Fromm, an Aries Sun too, also brings us back to basics. He has the “philosopher’s Moon” in Sagittarius and so, as you would expect, applied his ideas to many fields — politics, history, personal development. His book To Have or To Be? asks us a basic question: what is more important as humans, to own stuff or to be ourselves… Maybe a very pertinent question in our current times.

Here is an interview with him (by I believe Robert Robinson) discussing the ideas in that book.

authors, philosophers, philosophy & ethics

meblake said:

I was looking for a proper place to ask my question, and can’t seem to find one, so I’ll ask it here. Will you be doing a blog post about the Queen since she’s just turning 90? Is it still treasonous to have the birth data of the monarch and cast a horoscope? Just curious, since we’ve just gone over to Taurus.

Yes, Andrea is coming round tomorrow to record our podcast and we will be talking about the Queen’s Birthday…. although this news about Victoria Wood may shorten that discussion.

aqua said:

Absolutely gutted about Victoria – sob

Leonora said:

Me too! I actually cried twice. I mean she was lie your best friend – even though you never met!

Angelena Boden said:

Just one thing on my mind. Victoria wood. Two years older than me. Uranus opposite pluto maybe? :'(

It’s true then. 🙁

Angelena Boden said:

She’s a Taurus I think and the full moon in Scorpio will have an effect on her sun. I’m a novice but trying to learn.

Leonora said:

She had a square of Chiron, Venus, Uranus and Saturn Neptune, all roughly from 15-21 in cardinal signs so the transit if Pluto and Uranus has had a hand there for sure. Her Moon and Pluto in conjunction would definitely have come under the Jupiter transit in Leo. Jupiter transits are always about expanding and a transition from this life to beyond is certainly that! The cancer may have appeared sudden and brief but it takes a while to surface. I don’t know her asc – maybe Christina can find this out? I hope so. She looked physically Cancerian asc but who knows.

But back to Descartes and Aries! Typical for the age of religious oppression in which Descartes lived, he had to cover himself feigning disbelief in his own ideas to avoid the wrath of church police. Must have been difficult for an Aries!!! He had some clever ideas about the cosmos described here and paralleled with modern plasma cosmology https://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/2015/01/01/descartes-circular-reasoning-2/ but his famous statement – “I think therefore I am” is very debatable to me! Thinking is one function – we have sense, emotion and intuition. Now if he had said “I know therefore I am…” that might present a different existential can of worms!
Richard Dawkins is also an Aries but I’m not sure what we can learn from him except pig headedness!

aqua said:

Firstly talking of Aires placements, just to say RIP to Victoria Woods. Just reading an obit about her lack of self esteem re body issues.. that aires venus grand cross with chiron and saturn must of been so painful, particularly with moon in leo.
Oh poor poor Victoria, I always found her interviews so distressingly painful, but to say she was a comic genius undersells her Renaissance talents. I hope she found equanimity.

Im so glad you chose Eric Fromm, a writer I go back to time and again. I think of him a a ‘North Star’ a moral compass for us all.
Ive been thinking a lot about the theme of Aires lately. As astrologers Im sure you have all experienced that phenomena that when a sign is strongly flagged by transit you either meet many of that sign or they become prominent in the public eye.

So Im glad you have reminded me of positive examples, my mind was full of Farage, Russell Brand, Bernie Bros etc etc – so phew, thanks.

off to have a weep about Victoria as I literally just saw the news.

aqua said:

And just to add , much as I rate Fromm, Victoria was more of a philosopher and salient observer of the human condition than either of these two gentlemen.
Just looking at all the tributes its quite extraordinary how multi talented she was and of course undervalued by the bloody beeb. Do you know some of their employers had the bollocks to tell her how to be funny – Bloody cheek!

Leonora said:

Amen to that Aqua! Victoria was an accessible philosopher – and this is why people love good comedy. Its far more clever than laboured thinking!
“I think therefore I tie myself in knots… Am I a piece of string? I’m afraid knot…”

mike said:

“To Have or To Be” has an essay doppelganger by James Altucher that I found enjoyable and intriguing:
and a follow-up:

Andries H. Cats said:

I rectified the birthtime of Rene Descartes.

Ascendant 3 degrees Leo; MC 15 degees Aries, conjunct Uranus and Draconis.

His namenumber = 55 and his livenumber = 83.