RIP Robin Williams

August 12, 2014

Robin Williams

Robin Williams

When Robin Williams was on comic form, he made visions with words that tumbled out of his mouth and mind with an electrifying force and speed that was almost hallucinatory. His imagination was as wild and free-wheeling as a dolphin at play, or sometimes like a loose cable spraying sparks. Click here to watch a clip from the 1980s to see what I mean.

But the cascade of words hid a deeply sensitive and vulnerable human being. If he wasn’t laughing, maybe Williams was crying. You can see from his chart that maybe  he needed to perform to keep the demons at bay. Moon in Pisces, Sun, Mars-Uranus in Cancer. Of course, vulnerability makes wonderful actors. With Venus and Saturn in Virgo he would have polished those performances.

Some of his most unforgettable performances were very dark indeed (Insomnia and One-Hour Photo, both 2002(what a year: no wonder he started drinking again)). Most recently I watched him in Hamlet (1996). He’s easily the best Osric I’ve ever seen: understated, comic, and sad.

Robin Williams as Mork, his breakthrough role. Aquarius on the IC, Mars-Uranus in Cancer: it was a sit-com about an alien in a domestic setting....

Robin Williams as Mork, his breakthrough role. Mork came from outer space (Aquarius on the IC) and the sit-com was about Mork, in a domestic setting (Mars-Uranus in Cancer)

The transits to his chart right now are very, very difficult. He’s under pressure from all quarters. Apparently, he was suffering from terrible depression, and you can see that Saturn is on his Ascendant. This transit is always a call to grow up, to mature, to take responsibility. Last time he had it, around 27 years ago, he quit doing drugs. But maybe this time he realised that he just didn’t feel like growing old. Saturn is the planet of old age.

Meanwhile, Neptune has been busy conjuncting Williams’ Moon. This could well have felt like a tidal wave of emotion, just too large for one human being to cope with. And that is not all, Pluto is exactly opposite Williams’ Mars-Uranus. That conjunction in Cancer really is funny. Somehow the joke got annihilated.

And there’s more still, transiting Uranus is hitting his Neptune-Jupiter opposition (a huge and glorious imagination, a connection to spirit). Uranus can be like an off-switch, as well as an on-switch. These are tough, tough transits – but not insurmountable.

However, in Williams’ case, the Full Moon on August 10 must have been a last straw. The Sun was on his Pluto — his dark side — and the Moon  was on his IC, the foundations of his life. He looked down and maybe he didn’t like what he saw. With tr Mercury activating his natal Mercury, he took his life in his own hands. Tr Mars is approaching his Ascendant and completing a Grand Trine from the Moon to Mars-Uranus. Mars cut off the current.

data from astrodatabank

data from astrodatabank

actors, death, obituaries, people, RIP, Saturn, Uranus-Pluto square

Louise Larchbourne said:

Yes, and that Mars joins with Saturn transiting 1st to besiege his ascendant – the final piece of pain and isolation.

Paul Saunders said:

Another lovely post Christina, thank you. PS. Can I have a bookmark please for my site 🙂

Yes indeed. How negligent of me!

Dae said:

What do you make of his south node?

Interesting question. South Node is conjunct Venus but opposite the Moon. I know nothing about his private life but I would be very curious to know about his mother, his own parenting and how well he nurtured himself. I do know he had a serious addiction problem and this is where I see that across Virgo-Pisces. Pisces Moon nurtures itself through alcohol and drugs sometimes — literally dissolution. I wonder also how much he was able to simply love himself.

mimi said:

Hi Christina,
I was looking at his Progressed chart and noticed that progr. Vertex was on his natal MC, progr. Nodes were on his natal Venus in Virgo opp. natal Moon in Pisces.
His progr. Moon was transiting his 8th house and progr. Mars conjuncted his natal Mercury.

Furtheremore, isn’t it weird that this happened just after Jupiter left Cancer and Venus was about to leave Cancer ?

I hope he is at peace.

mimi

Interesting. I don’t use the vertex much, do you? And what do you think about it?
Yes. Jupiter went over his Sun in June I think. I do think Jupiter and Venus are angels of mercy sometimes, but in his case Jupiter on the Sun must have simply expanded his vulnerability, made him feel (perhaps) too thin-skinned.

mimi said:

I certainly think the Vertex is a point that is very important. To me it repesents events a person has no influence on, the Univers decides this just has to happen. I have seen this at various occasions.

I suppose he must have felt totally lost when Jupiter and Venus left his sign of Cancer.
I always feel it very distinctly when especially Venus moves out of my sign. Somehow life becomes duller then and I can feel depresssed for a little while, but I’m no Cancer I’m an Aries. Somehow I always pick myself up again, I guess people who suffer from depression lack this ability.

mimi

myrlock said:

29 Degrees. I have been interested in the Anaretic degree: that which destroys form. That which kills?
Was transiting venus at 29 degrees Cancer? Just a thought.
His fourth house was very busy, neptune and chiron transiting his north node and moon.
the fourth house sometimes calls us home.
Interesting his natal mars conjunct uranus in cancer in the eighth house. He was always going to go ‘very suddenly’.

Louise said:

Yes, and that telling Mars as ascendant ruler suggests his own agency. And impulsiveness. The weight of saturn in 1st, which ushers in a sense of lack wherever one tends most to feel it, exacerbated by the closing Mars transit and that besiegement. Max isolation with max impatience.

Yes, it was in fact. These transits are for the morning that I cast the chart. I think Venus did contribute to his finally calling it a day. I’ve noticed in the media coverage this morning that one of his problems was money. He’d become a slave to debt, having to work in order to service it. Venus has just been transiting his 8th house of debt (and alimony) and activated the Mars-Uranus. Good point about the Mars-Uranus in the 8th BTW, and the fourth, the house of ending.

There’s an excellent piece by Russell Brand about Robin Williams’ death here http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/12/russell-brand-robin-williams-divine-madness-broken-world

… and I think this piece about the current astrology is probably relevant http://www.oxfordastrologer.com/2014/08/astrology-now-challenge-faith.html

CC said:

There was something going on that night. My sister´s husband, who has been depressed for quite a while, was out of control that night, shouting that he was better dead. We ended up calling the police to calm down the situation, which was truly scary. He´s a Virgo, I don´t know whether that´s relevant or not.

I agree it was that night especially — still Full Moon energy (it felt like a door opening) — but it’s also connected to the quincunx between Neptune and Jupiter which does not become exact until August 15.

M said:

I have a very similar chart to his, with my sun near that degree in cancer, my ascendant just a few degrees before his, and mercury leo, venus virgo, mars cancer all just a few degrees off. Big difference is moon in scorpio at 13 but not sure that helps in this case. I can testify how very difficult the past month has been, less so in terms of outer events than in previous years, but it truly feels like some kind of emotional reckoning. I wonder how much pluto is responsible here. It kind of feels like pluto! At the moment trine my moon and opposite mars. Saturn on ascendant is just exhausting, and I do wonder if these energies will ever alter and open up. The pluto, uranus, neptune all have such a long way to go. Despite constant effort in every direction things do look indeed isolated and bleak personally despite some equilibrium in outer sense. I can imagine how hard things must have been for him – I’m just glad that the full moon didn’t precisely square my ascendant, as I do think that may have been a catalyst here. Friday 15th just gone was horrendous too btw.

He would have been through his 2nd saturn return just a few years ago, and then the ascendant transit now. Being in the same boat although in Libra not Virgo I would just say that it is only by not having any expectations and just persevering that life seems possible. What a shame, and my heart truly goes out to him. How truly tragic for his family.

m2 said:

Notice he has in his BC Sat@27 and Chiron@27. They square each other and almost exactly. The Sun is @ 28 (but I dont think thats involved as its passed). Look at the transit of mercury – 27 leo – it semi-sextiles Saturn – almost exact – and trines Chiron.

Just saying – theres saturn – chiron again -brought out by a transit – just sayin.

Another astrologer on the web wrote that the two most stressful aspects are a semi-sextile and a quincunx – just saying.

jane said:

something that is key is the lack of air in his chart.I really don’t know how rational he was.If he could have distanced himself a bit and taken a broader perspective of the situation that would have been invaluable.But he was just drowning in all the emotion—he couldn’t just take a step back.He was brilliant in so many ways but he just didn’t have that cold clear headed kind of thinking that would have helped.
Also Saturn passing through the 12th and hitting the ascendant can just be so depressing but the thing is—it does pass–

KristaShipp said:

I am born 7/22/51- 5:33 am- NYC- ASC 25 Cancer- MC 9 Aries
While the moon is earlier in Robins chart- & house cusps different- we have the same planets..
During what turned out to be his last days- was a terrible time of great despair for me astro- wise..Seldom had I been at a lower point..I am still stunned that he is gone
I think with N Sun 28 Cancer conj ASC- H1- I have more of a survival instinct..
His star will forever shine

KS

I hope you’re feeling better now.