It’s that time again. It’s been a long, lively 12 years since Jupiter, the planet named after the king of the gods himself, was in Leo, the sign of royalty, gold, the Sun, self-expression, glamour, drama and perhaps above all playfulness. It’s time to throw off that cloak of Cancerian wistfulness and embrace the game of life once more.
Last time, Jupiter was here was 2002-2003. It’s worth thinking about how that year was for you. There was a sweet angle between Pluto the transformer in Sagittarius and Jupiter in Leo that time around. But this time the planet that want to play is Uranus in Aries. That does suggest that starting something new, taking a chance, innovation are all lucky this year. This is fiery indeed.
Just to get you in the mood, here is a list of suggestion – perhaps slightly tongue in cheek – of things that you could try in this Leo year. Don’t forget that Leo loves to turn life into a game.
1. Get into some gold lamé.
2. Join your local amateur dramatic society, especially if the production is say The King and I… or the Wizard of Oz. Failing that, just make a point of going to the theatre more this year. The smell of the greasepaint — that’s a Leo thing. Spend money on going to see some blockbuster performances. Sir Mick has Jupiter in Leo as well as the Sun…. age has not stopped him leaping about the stage like a tom cat.
3. Visit Versailles. The residence of the Sun King himself (Moon and Venus in Leo). Yes the Moon and Venus are bound to show what kind of taste we have, and Louis XIV did not know the meaning of the word understated.
4. Think Roma. If you can’t actually get to Rome – a Leo city – then you could stay at home and watch La Dolce Vita, The Bicycle Thieves, Roma, followed by Rome Open City and maybe a sequence from The Talented Mr Ripley while eating pizza and grilled artichokes. Alternatively, the complete season of I, Claudius is a hoot and combines a several Jupiter in Leo themes: extreme luxury, decadence, Roman emperors and a sparkly bikini or two. Or as an homage to Nanni Moretti in Dear Diary and Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday you could just ride a Vespa around your own neighbourhood.
5. Become a Catholic cleric. This will give you the opportunity to really indulge in Leonine taste for luxury. Just think of the frankincense, pretty frocks and gold. Of course, Jupiter in Leo is almost literally a symbol of the “Pope in Rome”. Jupiter is the planet of pontiffs, priests and religion. If, say, you chose to be a Cardinal this year, you could drive around in posh cars and wear that gorgeous red outfit… and the shoes. This Pope has no planets in Leo, by the way, and he has Moon and Venus in Leo’s opposite sign of Aquarius, the common people, egalitarianism. No wonder he’s living in a normal flat and he’s gotten rid of the red shoes and shiny outfits. John Paul II? Jupiter in Leo.
6. Grow your hair BIG. If you haven’t got enough, wear a hat.
7. Invest in these. Leo is the sign of bling, and with Jupiter involved that goes large.
8. Or these. Just for a laugh.
9. If fashion is really not your thing, then Jupiter in Leo does call for a long, hot stay at the beach. Jupiter is the old ruler of Pisces, the sign of the sea, and Leo is ruled by the Sun. That makes the sandy shore a perfect Jupiter in Leo meeting point. You could go to St. Tropez or Cannes and combine beach with glamour, but in fact any hot strand will do, even if it’s a lonely one. If you’re stuck, try putting this piece of music on and pretend you’re eating a banana pancake in Goa or Koh Samui, or this one and pretend you’re eating fish and chips in Brighton.
10. …and speaking of the Year of the Cat (she comes in incense and patchouli), Jupiter in Leo could be the year to adopt a stray or because it’s Jupiter, a really big stray…