Astrology of Now: A World Turned Upside Down

February 17, 2014

Port Meadow, Oxford, yesterday, February 16

I started to write this post in the middle of the Full Moon storm, so it’s slightly out of synch with the weather now – three days later. But I have left the words as they are because I think it works with the current slightly confused Mercury Rx energy.

The country is besieged by wind, rain and floods. It’s hard not to feel that Mother Nature is showing us who is boss. We may frack, drill, poison, maim and try to murder our planet, but she is still stronger, scarier, louder even than we puny humans can ever be.

It’s wild out there. Today we had to drive back to Oxford in rain so dense it was like a waterfall and gusts so strong, the waterfall blew horizontally. Intense and strange to see the world through water, melting and blurred.

It was a thoroughly Piscean journey: underwater and to a hospital (in a city called Bath for goodness sake) on the way there; and on the way back we discovered that we could watch a film in the car (so 21st century). We watched Notorious — the story of a woman willing to sacrifice her reputation, a Neptune theme for sure — while the motorway washed away outside.

There is a relentless power and fury about this weather, and then on the days between the onslaughts, the skies are clear and the world looks fresh and new and lovely. Much of the land around here has been transformed into a mirror of the sky, so on a clear day it is breathtakingly bright. Dull familiar places are imbued with magic. At the bottom of our street a footbridge that used to cross the River Cherwell now leads into a mysterious lake.

I’m not sure what this all means exactly, but I do feel that we are at a very strange momentt.

This winter has been a perfect storm: a combination of all the outer planetary energies, combining with lunations. In particular, Lilith, the wild point in the sky, the goddess of darkness and savagery has been very active. She has been travelling through sodden Cancer all winter. The Cancer Full Moon in mid-January conjuncted Lilith, and at November and December Full Moon, Lilith was conjunct Jupiter in also Cancer.

Neptune and Jupiter, the old rulers of Pisces are in an applying trine to each other in water signs. Jupiter enlarges. Neptune is the god of the sea. If you have seen any of the pictures of the sea defences being breached on the West coast, you know you have seen Neptune raging. Tonight’s Full Moon is applying to Neptune.

Neptune came out of retrograde and started moving forward in Pisces in mid-November. Meanwhile during this whole winter, Jupiter has been Rx in watery Cancer. Cancer is a sign that pulls inward, that absorbs. So if you look at the chart, you can see Neptune pushing slowly forward through Pisces, where of course, it’s in its own sign, and Jupiter pushing back towards it.

Pluto, Uranus, Neptune, Saturn are all surging forwards. And in contrast, the inner planets are incredibly slow moving this month. Mars is only moving a few degrees before March, same with Venus, and Mercury is going backwards. It’s turgid up there. Things are almost at a standstill. And today Lilith is squaring Mars in Libra as he slows almost to a halt before going retrograde on March 1. Interesting. Mars in Libra symbolises imbalance.

Only Jupiter – the planet between the painfully slow personal trio and the outer ones – in Cancer, the sign of the countryside, of mother earth. Meanwhile, Ceres, the planet of agriculture, went into Scorpio (death, transformation and more water) and conjuncted the North Node of destiny on February 3. The storms may be over but the floods and the subsequent damage will be with us for months.

Through all this Jupiter in Cancer has been opposing Pluto, which is on the UK sun, and squaring Uranus. My colleague Barry Goddard attributes the weather to the square, to read his piece click here. I’m sure it is a factor, look at all the power outages.

Playing with flood water

Yesterday, February 16, a few days after writing the bulk of this piece, we went to look at the floods. It was beautiful. Port Meadow was a watery mirror of the sky.

The meadow is a bowl of grazing land, between Oxford City and the River Thames, called the Isis at this point. It’s one of the oldest pieces of common land left in this country, in other words it is owned by the people, granted the rights by Alfred the Great more than a thousand years ago, and it has never been ploughed. It used to be 300 acres, but it has gradually shrunk. Just this year, the university built some highrise flats that encroach on the skyline around it, and British Rail has added another train line that cuts off a few meters of the eastern boundary.

Astrology of Now, floods

Anonymous said:

Hello Christina,

I’m very reluctant to comment on your piece, as here in Holland we are having one of the mildest and quietest winters we ever experienced. We have been spared luckily for the most of this very bad weather and these ferocious storms.

This whole situation can be looked at as a great cleaning up of all the debris that is being transported by the rivers out to sea or for the people to be cleaned up.

It is a great new beginning (forced upon the people by Pluto, helped in this by the other planets), even if it is very difficult now to believe this, but sometimes you have to have a great cleaning in order to start fresh into the future.

This debris can be seen as a metaphor for all the old habits and stuff you gather over the years. For countries and individuals this is alike. Before a new start can be made one has to get rid of all this stuff.

Take care and all the best – I hope the worst is over now and I’m sure at some point later this year you will all look back and see that this was necessary in order to make a new fresh start.

mimi

That’s so interesting that Holland is untouched! I agree, it’s possibly a cleaning out, but I am not sure how much heed our leaders are really taking. The conversation about the destruction of the environment has been going on for 50 years — hang on that’s since the Uranus-Pluto conjunction in the mid-60s.

On a personal level though, we can pay attention to this message. I am fully in accordance with the throwing out the junk theme.

Acquafortis said:

It has been strange in Italy as well. I think I have never seen so much rain in all the years I have been in Rome. Lands that have been forcefully built on have nearly reversed to their original settings…marshlands.

The return of the marshes: exactly the same here.

mm said:

Great post. Thanks for spelling out all the astrological aspects that are contributing to the current watery state of affairs.

I tend to agree with Mimi that this is part of a gigantic clean-up process for all of us. No comfort of course for those who have been so badly hit by the floods and are now contemplating the wreckage of their homes. I also know that the turgidness you mention with the personal planets almost static is being reflected in my own personal life (and physical body). It’s not a time for obvious progress right now.

As the Sun advances into Pisces (where Mercury has just retreated from) and the clutch of planets change direction at the beginning of March it will be interesting to watch developments.

Isy Aweigh said:

In California, we are in a record-setting drought — exponentially worse than anything in history. In Oakland, the Muslim community invited everyone to pray for rain together, there was a tremendous turnout, and we’ve had two weeks of rain almost every day. (It’s almost like we’re supposed to work together or something…)

It is tapering off, though, and it hasn’t made up for so many months of nothing. Everything is blooming early, which means lean harvests; water tables are plummeting; birds are migrating early; everything is off kilter. There is just enough new growth to provide fuel for really devastating fires.

I suspect California will be remade. Not that it doesn’t need it. Those of us who grew up in the Sahara consider their water management to be millenia out of date: an open aqueduct for the longest conduit; spraying crops with fountains of water throughout the hottest parts of the day (wrong crops); monoculture blanketing the state. This geopolitical region has been outstandingly stupid about developing its role as the ag center of the US and much of the New World, and are about to reap what they’ve sown — with a very sharp sickle.

Isy Aweigh said:

I forgot about the out-of-control fossil fuel industry — which has Pluto, Neptune and Jupiter’s bootprints all over it. Bill Moyers is much more eloquent on the subject than I could be, as I tend to froth and spit: http://billmoyers.com/2014/02/07/diary-of-a-dying-country/

Sucking water to frack, poisoning water to mine, nothing but devastation and quick money.

… yes deserts and oceans are both ruled by Pisces…. So I assume that Neptune is the god of drought as well as deluge but I’m not sure.

The point about California is that is could really lead the way in this. It’s a matter of political will…

Isy Aweigh said:

If only…
Brilliant inventive environment, but the political environment is an unholy cross of Kafka’s “The Trial,” Dickens’ “Bleak House,” and Twain’s “A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court” — bloody-handed nepotism and all.

It’s odd but all the innovation goes into tech and Indy entertainment. The politics and finance are as entrenched and oligarchically short sighted as I’ve heard of anywhere.

Ah politicians. We each get our own set of gangsters….