May Morning in Oxford

May 1, 2013

As you may know, May Day is a big deal here in Oxford. Here’s what I saw
this unbelievably peachy morning.

Happy May Day.

, , ,

May, seasons

Sabrina said:

Happy May Day! Nice pics. The 1rst and 9th pic are my favorites!

Don’t you love the smock! He had a cheese on his head earlier…

Sarah Mc said:

I know it’s Ox-Ford so these guys are probably from Oxford Morris but did you see the emblems of Taurus so clearly there? And the flowers of the beautiful Venus, ruler of the bull.

Yes. That’s the Oxford City Morris side I think. Some of the others are from other groups.

po said:

neat!

Lachesis said:

Delightful. Especially because there are young men with the older men.

yes – there is a bit of an age imbalance actually, but it’s not hopeless…

Anonymous said:

.. Is that Sunshine?? Was there a Maypole? Also have you read Tom Hodgkinson’s great book ‘How to be Happy’, which harks back to the good old days of mediaeval Merrye Olde Englande and recounts how miserable the Reformation made us – usurers and Capitalists all. It’s great fun and lists all the holidays in the year – barely a fortnight went by without clacking of sticks or frolicks in the meadow. The Inquisition isn’t mentioned though 🙂

Oh we have far too few holidays — or you have to pay through the nose to go to a festival