The Skull Beneath The Skin

December 14, 2012

Imagine if you suddenly found yourself reading Don Draper’s (from TV’s Mad Men) chart.

Rather casually a while ago, I agreed to draw up someone’s chart while he was here talking business with my partner. He was a suit-wearing, briefcase-porting, pen wielder — buttoned-down, neat hair, smart, together, established.

Now, I am always grateful to anyone willing to divulge their birth data, so I drew up the chart and glanced at it, thinking I’d just be able to add it to my careers database, since I’m always curious to see how a person’s chart fits with their job.

I paused when the chart came up, because I couldn’t help noticing immediately that the Uranus-Pluto square was hitting it with force at that very moment – and I had a feeling this was bad rather than marvellously transformational and evolutionary.

“What can you see?” asked the suit.

I looked over at him and it was as if a veil lifted: suddenly I could see beyond the uniform. There was a human being in all his vulnerability and nobility. I saw that the guy really wanted to know what I could see, and I felt the same odd sensation that I have sometimes in a consultation when I know we’ve hit the crux of a matter.

In the blink of an eye, we had been transformed from casual acquaintances into astrologer and client (although that’s not a word I’m always entirely comfortable with). I had a responsibility to him, which I had not had moments earlier.

I hedged, unwilling to say anything too negative because that’s not usually constructive. “We-e-ell, some major changes happening there with the old relationship…hey, do you have a lot of children?

A story of horrible marriage breakdown stuttered out. What had happened to this man was beyond nasty. Pluto had been wielding his wrecking ball, Uranus providing the shocks. But I could see his relief as he shared his burden and I read the chart for him.

My duty was to listen until he had said everything he needed to say, and to offer succinct, understandable insight. This was a doer not a dreamer; what he needed was a schedule, which is, of course, one of the key things astrology provides. I could see the bottom of the situation, and that there was a future beyond it.

Astrology also gave him confirmation. Although it’s not a phrase that he would have felt comfortable with, he could see that indeed he was the plaything of the gods. He saw that he had to stop clinging to the shore as it was washed away, and flow with time’s river.

He got in touch with me a few months later. That short, sharp reading had given him the courage to make the major changes that were necessary. His life would have been transformed anyway – Pluto was involved remember – but with just a nudge from astrology, he was able to become part of the change instead of a victim.

astrologers, astrology

Jackie T said:

A beautiful piece

stephen said:

I felt every word you wrote.

I wrote this piece very carefully.

Em said:

A wonderful reminder of what it is that we do. Lovely.

LB said:

I love this post. I also get how awesome it is when we connect with another human being in a real way, without the masks and personas. I see it as the common ground where it becomes safe to reveal ourselves as being vulnerable. Martin Buber described this connection when he said, “When two people relate to each other authentically and humanly, God is the electricity that surges between them.”

Been quoting Martin Buber a lot lately for some reason – must be Sag season.:)

mimi said:

Christina – could you see if Chiron also played a role in this reading ?

Gilly said:

Goodness, what a wonderful post! It says everything in a few short words. I actually feel like I learned something this morning. That square is hitting my chart too but nothing to see yet. I’ve yet to see how it will work out, holding my breath and hoping for something good. I’m a massive Capricorn, but I have Jupiter conj venus in Sag – and trine Uranus too. I am eternally optimistic. 😀

Mimi… Very smart. Yes, Chiron was involved. In fact, there were health issues too…

Gilly… & so much depends on how you have lived your chart up until now

mimi said:

I find that Chiron does not only represent the wound of a person,but it also stands in the chart for the person making you aware of this wound and then showing you the way to healing in a situation. So – in my view at that point in time you were playing the role of Chiron to this man, showing him the direction he had to go in his life. Beautiful isn’t it?

yes – and I had already got the broken hoof by then, so literally a wounded healer.

mimi said:

How approriate !

myr lock said:

That was enriching, thank you.

Lachesis said:

Posts such as this are the reason we are not reading books so much. A whole story – half told, half-imagined – is encapsulated here. I’m glad you made a difference as a reader to your readee…