Mercury in Scorpio: Inner Demons

November 23, 2012

A detail from Hieronymous Bosch’s
The Garden of Earthly Delights

“Beware the slinking whisperer who whispers into the hearts of people, whether he is from the world of spirits or the world of humans.” – Sura 114, The Qur’an

“The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heav’n of hell, a hell of heaven.” – Satan in Paradise Lost.

“Demons do not exist any more than gods do, being only the products of the psychic activity of man.” – Sigmund Freud

Mercury is quicksilver, dashing fleet-footed through the Zodiac, faster than any other planet. He is a shapeshifter, a trickster, a magician. In each sign he wears a different mask.

He is the planet of the mind. And when he turns retrograde our thoughts turn inward, as we edit and examine, file and sort through the previous few months. We need these times that Mercury retrograde offers to stop and think. But in each sign that period of reflection takes a different hue.

Orpheus and Eurydice by Frederick George Watts

In Scorpio, Mercury ventures into the darkest realms, into Hades. Mercury is both the god of travellers, and the messenger between gods and humans. He can go anywhere. Remember that his Greek equivalent Hermes conducted people to the underworld. It was he who guided Eurydice back to her death when Orpheus made the mistake of turning as he tried to retrieve her from Hades.Orpheus had persuaded Hades and his queen Persephone with the power and potency of his lamenting lyre to allow him to take his wife back to the world of the living. They allowed him to try and take her home on the condition that he did not look back. When he lost his lover Eurydice for the second time, they say Orpheus’ music became even better. And how true that still is of music: the personal experience of heartbreak and the journey to love’s dungeons creates better musicians.
and little wings fluttering at his ankles;

It’s usual at this time of years to tell scary stories; we’ve just had Halloween and the Day of the Dead. You have only to turn on the TV to see a menu of grim fictions available to us currently.But our own mind’s journey to the underworld this month is even more self-reflective than usual because Mercury is retrograde. We may be encountering our own inner demons, the whispered voice of doubt or envy, malice or madness. Every culture in the world has a word for demons, and many have a world of demons.

Are they real or are they imaginary? And if you are imagining them, then why? There’s a dispassion about Mercury that could allow you to sit down and talk to those demons; ask them a few questions. Of course, sometimes Mercury gabbles nonsense, but not when he is in Scorpio. This is the place where we can hear a few home truths.Scorpio dissects. Mercury thinks.Mercury goes forward again on the 26th and leaves Scorpio on December 11th. With the Sun now safely in Sagittarius, we may be able to look into Hades with a degree more detachment – and less terror.

, , , , ,

Mercury, Mercury Retrograde, myths & fairytales, Scorpio, underworld

Isy Aweigh said:

My Scorpio lover and I have been confronting our different demons in profound new ways. Interesting times, but hopeful.

I’ve been utterly stalled on a book about Hades & Persephone. I might try pushing through the, er, dead zone…

Just take another peek at that story. You might get some new insight.

Anonymous said:

There is a film called constantine where the main character bearing the films title as his name explains that there are half breeds walking among us. Some are are angels and some are demons. They can by just one word change our greatest happiness to our worst nightmare and vice versa. They are the influence peddlers in the great detente of the original superpowers.

I met a girl in my late teens who was able to do this – just one sentence that I have not been able to get over.

Anon – Yeesh. You wouldn’t care to divulge the sentence would you?

Anonymous said:

I dont think I will divulge the sentence but needless to say it was personal and particular. There is another film more recent called inception. This is a film that deals with dreams. A device has been invented by the millitary that allows shared dreams. This device is now used by others for espionage among other things. But not only can information be taken but an idea can be implanted that in time can change the persons whole being. If you can do a combination of these two films as I have described them then what I would say I have been fighting something that has been trying to change me since my late teens. And that is where I have been able to resist. In other ways I have been helpless. Either way I have been changed.

Anon – Have you seen The Master? It’s also about dealing with demons of one sort or another.

Take a look at the post I’ve written above.

Anonymous said:

From what you write about the film it deals with things that I am not equipped or really want the inclination to deal with. I also have mars in pices joined by the sun and later chiron in pisces – neptune in scorpio just for good measure. in many ways I am of this world and not of this world.

Its the easy references to sex that I cant deal with in the same way as others. I am more into philosophy and metaphysics as a way to attempt to deal and explain the world. And perhaps religion as well.

The sex in the film is nasty, but it’s an important part of the overall picture. It’s a metaphor for an inner malaise.

Couldn’t believe it was given a 15 certificate though.

Vesta said:

This is me. I have mercury in Scorpio. Great. Goes well with my uranus/pluto conjunct, opposite saturn, t-square with mars/venus conjunct.
Mercury is conjunct my neptune/sun-moon midpoint at 19 Scorpio. Hurrah. I feel like I was born with a storm. And I’m Libra rising. I paint a smile on it. 🙂
Music is very important to me. I don’t play, sadly, but I can’t imagine life without it.
I like to write too. I read somewhere that mercury in scorpio helps me to articulate deeper thoughts and feelings that others might not be able to reach. So now I feel like it’s my duty and obligation. Except, in order to do that, I have to find out the right terminology, and to do that, I have to do some reading, or go there and really think about it, reflect, journal. So it ends up being a bit self-help. 🙂 There are your demons. I often find anger helps me cut through the crap and get to the truth of things. No illusions. (neptune)
Just looking at your discussion, above, I had a tarot reading once where they said I am on both sides of the veil, that I have a foot on either side. Oooh! 😀 I’ve always been aware of spirits. I kind of like them, mostly they’re benign, but occasionally, I’ve come across a scary one, although maybe I spooked myself. Difficult to tell sometimes, which is probably my neptune, over-imagining, if that’s a thing.
Have to say, the last few years with uranus/pluto, and then saturn going through scorpio, were totally sh**. Being this sensitive was no help at all. It’s like, I was born with a storm within, and I tried not to let it show, and then a storm came without, and that was me rinsed. And mercury in scorpio, I have this gift of describing what that feels like.
One thing on that. It’s one thing to be able to describe deep, dark feelings, trauma, etc. It’s another for others to be able to handle it. They usually can’t, and then they dump you. They will throw it back, often in your face, like you’re the one with the problem. But you’re not. It’s them. What you’re saying is too uncomfortable, you’re the source of the discomfort, therefore ergo everything is your fault. And they will be dicks to you. The harder you try to keep them, the nastier they will get trying to get away from you. So you have to let go, friend and family alike.
So it’s not really that much of a gift, when it comes to it. Victims are always victimised twice, once by the event, and again by society when they try to talk about it.
Screw that. I think that discomfort others feel is them out of their comfort zone, it means they have to think differently, reflect, listen, learn, grow. Whilst I won’t go chasing after people anymore, I know the problem isn’t me, so I can let go and leave them to figure it out, if they can. It’s happening right now as patriarchy is challenged and women are increasingly empowered. So many women are talking about their experiences right now (jupiter, stories) which means men are out of their comfort zone. Expect pushback. Then reject it. You’re not the one with the problem, they are.
I’ve written a lot again! Well, mercury in scorpio, things to say. 🙂

Mercury is excellent in Scorpio IMHO.

44 and counting said:

I came to realise that when people don’t hang around in your life, that’s a gift from the universe.

You’re finding out that they’re not going to be capable of the longterm, intimate relationship that you want and need to fulfil yourself.

Vesta said:

Yes, turns out everyone I knew was either false or fairweather. I did learn to be self-reliant, but you can only do so much, it’s human nature to connect with others. Did I mention Saturn sat on my natal moon in Sag for a long time? Nothing by half, me. Theresa May has that right now, if I recall correctly. I had no one around me and I felt sorry for myself, but it must be worse to be surrounded and be that isolated. That’s the extent of my empathy for her, by the way.

One of my solar return horoscopes (cafe astrology, I think) said my year ahead is love and relationships. I think venus in the 1st house or something? So looks like the universe is saying I’ve done my time. 😀 lol Well, let’s see! I’ve got moon in Capricorn for the year ahead too, I’m very grateful for that, uranus is going to oppose my sun next year. !!! I read that’s a reversal of fortune. I hope mine’s nice. Hillary Clinton’s birthday was yesterday. I’m very excited to see what her reversal of fortune could be. 😮 Could she be POTUS after all…?!