Higgs Boson: Oh, So God Does Exist?

July 4, 2012

Beaker and Bunsen.

Apparently, it’s the most important breakthrough in physics since they smashed the atom.

Now as students of astrology know, Pluto is associated with atomic energy, so how wonderful that on the day of the Full Moon (a project coming to completion) conjunct Pluto – and square (breakthrough) Uranus – those physicists at CERN on the Franco-Swiss border announce that they have finally found the “God particle” or Higgs Boson.

The existence of the Higgs Boson particle has been speculated for years – 47 years in fact. That’s when Pluto and Uranus were conjunct, of course. Nifty.

Here’s the chart. I’ve made it for the time I heard the news on the radio, but I’m sure we can get the announcement a bit tighter.

science, Uranus Pluto generation, Uranus-Pluto square

gawd_almighty said:

I don’t understand any of the scientific explanations, but hooray! anyway.

me neither — and ditto

P said:

It’s something about how empty space around us is composed of some kind of atomic treacle. Higgs space is part of that treacle.

I’m still trying to understand how this connects to the origin of the ‘verse.

gawd_almighty said:

The man on the Clapham omnibus would just shake his head and turn to the sports pages.

Gilly said:

Isn’t that beautiful?

Isy Aweigh said:

Somehow, the Sagittarian NN works for me 🙂

It’s been awhile since I read up on the Higgs Boson. I’ll look into it again. I’m intrigued.

Isy Aweigh said:

Briefly, this is a bit like getting the first squint at DNA. They knew something like it had to exist, the bit of info they had indicated it would look something like a helix, but actually being able to prove it made it possible to ask much more pointed questions about heredity and function.

Keeping in mind that quantum physics is squidgy and strange, here’s a look at the basic ideas involved:
From http://www.latimes.com/news/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-higgs-like-boson-20120704,0,218429.story:
“Quantum theory says that the universe is made of two types of elementary particles, fermions and bosons. Fermions are matter, like the electron or the proton. Bosons are energy and can transmit forces, like the photon.” Part of the squidginess of quantum physics is that matter is energy and vice versa, so particles are forces and fields are made up of particles, or possibly strings, maybe waves… Anyway.

This squidginess makes it perfect for asking and occasionally answering such wildly squidgy questions as, “why do things have mass?” I mean, who would think to ask such a thing?

Those who proposed the Higgs boson, that’s who.

The Higgs boson would explain why things have mass, because it creates the Higgs field, which gives mass to things that can take on mass — like swimmers moving through water, with those clad in flannel taking up much more water than those wearing, say, nothing at all.

Mass itself explains things like gravity and other types of bonding and repelling forces/particles (squidginess again.)

So discovering the Higgs boson provides the opportunity to ask much more pointed and practical questions about things like why and how gravity works, and maybe, what it would take to turn it off… Opening the door to a whole world of things even more ubiquitously, if worrisomely, useful than microwave ovens and nuclear power.

Is all that any help?

Isy Aweigh said:

It connects to the origin of the ‘verse because it had to come into existence almost immediately after the Big Bang in order for things to unfold as they did.

Thanks – actually it does help. I wonder what would have happened it it hadn’t been a Higgs Boson but something else… getting boggled again….

Anonymous said:

From what I understand, the existence of Higgs Boson has nothing to do with the verification of the existence of God. They wanted to originally call it “The Goddamn Particle” but couldn’t so they called it “The God Particle.”

The God particle i a bit of PR spin, but doesn’t it sound good!

Rollan McCleary said:

The astrology of the announcement of the God Particle discovery argues for the relevance of the name and the truth of the find. See the article at
which includes on the subject though that is not indicated by its title:
“Solomon’s Tantric Song and the Year of Talking Sex”.

Isy Aweigh said:

Mark Morford, cultural commentator in SF, cuts the Higgs boson down to size:

“We aren’t getting any closer to anything. We’re just getting slightly more interesting.”

Cracks me up.