What Astrologers Are Saying About Mars Retrograde

January 23, 2012

Sandro Botticelli’s painting depicts exactly what will be happening in the skies at the beginning
of February when Venus opposes sleeping Mars.

Mars the planet of action aggression and war is about to go retrograde in the sign of skill, precision and organisation, Virgo. As you doubtless know, Mars has been in Virgo since December, so we may all already have a bit of a feel of what that means.

Where Mars transits your chart, you are most likely to have real action in your life. For example, Mars in the second house would indicate that money is either coming in or going out faster than usual. Mars in the twelfth might show a lot of activity in the bedroom. Mars crossing the IC is often a good indicator of a change of address or just getting the builders in.

What’s different right now is that because Mars is going retrograde, he’s spending an unconscionably long time in Virgo. And also because he’s retrograde the action may be stalled (rather frustrating) or inward (much better use of the energy). Take a look at your chart to see which house Mars is transiting right now, and you’ll get a flavour of where there’s bound to be a lot of energy (blocked or not) in the months to come.

Mars retrograde is a strange period because this is the planet of action, but retrograde implies an inward experience. In the painting, Mars is asleep, and while he is asleep the satyrs play with his weapons. What is he dreaming of? At the start of February, Venus will oppose Mars from Pisces, the sign where she is said to behave most beautifully. I am hoping for an outbreak of peace somewhere in the world. Maybe Syria, whose natal Sun is at 22° Virgo.

The fact that this retrograde starts on a New Moon in humanitarian, future-focused sign Aquarius at around the same part of the chart as the Arab Spring leads me to believe that this is start of a new phase in the Middle East process towards self-determination.

In case you were wondering about specifics, Mars is stationing retrograde at 23°. If you have any planets there or in opposition or square to that point, you may feel full of energy but somehow unable to act.

Here are what some other astrologers have to say about Mars retrograde in Virgo.

Rob Tillett is excellent and thorough.

Lynn Koiner  has an interesting take.

Molly’s Astrology gives a nice summary of Mars retrograde in general.

Lynn Hayes gives a general mood piece on Mars retrograde.

astrologers, Mars retrograde

Here’s another take on Mars Ret from Integral astro.

Jackie T said:

Mars retrograde is therefore stationing exactly on my MC. Frustrated energy – yup. Feeling I ‘should’ be getting on with redesigning my career, but sheer inertia and a brain turned to porridge preventing me. this explains much. Thank you!

Jackie – You could try and take advantage of that energy by just hanging loose and allowing the stuckness to stick.

It’s exactly opposite my natal Mars and I am feeling, well, tense

julie said:

This is such a beautiful painting! I remember it from copying it at The National when I was young. He’s sleeping after having made love to Venus, so I suppose that puts another slant on things. Resting and recuperating.

I am gnashing the table too, as I’m waiting to hear re. jobs, and everyone’s on hols here in Aus until next week, so I’ve just got to spin the wheels a bit.

Leslee said:

Ugh, it crossed my Sun at 18 Virgo (cusp of 2nd house) and squared my Saturn at 19 Sag. It was nasty! Mostly job related (and authority related) stuff. Jupiter’s moving into my 10th – lots of I should be doing more important things with my life. I hope Mars Rx doesn’t hinder the job search too much…

@Leslee – new job could be connected to an old job or contact that resurfaces. Retrogrades do sometimes go dredging around in the past. Sometimes it’s useful to follow that energy

Gilly said:

He’s stopped just short of my North Node and stationed exactly trine my Cappy Sun. Interestingly, I was suddenly able to work – long and hard! – yesterday after weeks of being blocked. I feel full of vim and vigour for work again. He’s in my 4th house – am I just weird or should I expect everything I’m doing to be a big pile of poo that’ll have to be re-done later? 😀

How far back into Virgo is he going to go, btw?

@Gilly – He’s going back to 3° Virgo.

Actually I think you are on to something Gilly. I too am feeling full of bounce. And yesterday, I had some really good news about a situation that could have been very argumentative. I think this Mars ret is being very alleviated and helped by other planets in earth (Jupiter and Pluto) in trine and by Venus in Pisces, which opposes, but the lovers are often at their best in opposition because it creates balance.

In short – not a pile of poo – go for it.

Gilly said:

@Christina After reading what others are saying, I’m thinking that – with this being a re-write, rather than original work, maybe the retrograde is helping rather than hindering… Or is that just Mercury (who is conjunct my Sun today). It’s too complicated!

The writing… seems to be going well. I’m just going to ride the energy and see where it takes me. Thanks for the reassurance. 🙂

@Gilly – Mars in Virgo is brainpower anyway, especially writing power. I think the Mars ret could be about digging deeper into that.

Leslee said:

Christina, that’s great advice re: Mars Rx dredging up past contacts. It’s what I’ve been doing lately, networking with/through former colleagues, back when I had a lot more fun working! I hadn’t thought about Mars Rx for that.

Anonymous said:

I feel like everything is one slight squeeze away from turning into a handful of shards. I’m not pleased with some of the relationships in my current transits, but one or two could help me out if they choose to. I usually find Mars retro peaceful, so I’m holding out hope for the Arab spring.

If I move back to Egypt, I’ll get a felucca and take you & D. & the kids out for all the sunset sails you could want. 🙂

Anonymous said:

That was Isy. Google comment behaving worse than usual on my phone.

I note that Syria actually seems to have taken a turn for the worse.

Isy Aweigh said:

When I was a kid, I didn’t know that Mars’ nap was post coital. No wonder Venus looks pursy and vexed.

Sad about Syria.

I read some stories written just before each of the world wars and they feel far too vivid nowadays.

SailorSun said:

I have 8 housed Saturn in Virgo at 23º44′ in my birth chart, and now Mars is in 22º51’R so it’s very interesting position making conjunction. As having very strained my birth Saturn squaring (apexing) venus gemini 5th and neptune R Sagitarius 11, and them in opposition 😐
I hope Mars as he moves rewind and therefore forward, could clean the Apex of my Saturn, wich has been very tight-lipped my eight house for really too much time…

Horoscopes

Horoscopes

These monthly horoscopes have been called "the most thorough and visually exciting" on the web -- by my Mum (just kidding). I can't remember who said that actually, but thanks. To see and read what we're talking about and to find out how to subscribe, click more below.

In order to fund this site, I will be charging from now on, but I'm sure you'll find the fee reasonable. Obviously, blog posts are still free.

I do love personal consultations.

I talk to people as far away as New Zealand, Hawaii and the Phillipines thanks to the wonders of the web. Oh and my friend next door pops in for an update every now and then. If you come in person, you do get a cup of tea and possibly a biscuit, as well as an astrological conversation, of course, but most people consultations take place via Skype or FaceTime.

To find out about booking and fees, click more below.