How Adele is a Shaman

January 2, 2012

Listen to this.

You wouldn’t think that the British singer Adele turned 21 last May, would you? She has the voice of, well, experience.

When I hear a voice like hers, I ask myself where’s the Capricorn?

Nina Simone…what a voice

This is because I’ve noticed that Sun or Moon in Capricorn often (not always) goes with really big voices, or just old sounding voices like Eartha Kitt’s. Sometimes Capricorn seems to give the ability to reach right down into the guts of the earth and drag out music, like Janis Joplin. It is after all the sign of the shaman. There’s a quality of earthy experience there that seems quite natural to these singers.

Here are some singers with Sun in Capricorn: Elvis, Shirley Bassey, Patti Smith, Scott Walker, Joan Baez, Annie Lennox, Beth Gibbons (Portishead), Captain Beefheart, Michael Stipe.

And it’s no surprise that some Capricorn musicians – Dolly Parton and David Bowie for example – have excellent heads for business.

Here are some singers with Moon in Capricorn: Sarah Vaughn, Tammy Wynette, Patsy Cline, Stevie Nicks, Wynonna Judd, Billie Holiday, Nina Simone, Dinah Shore, Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, oh and David Byrne. That’s a lot of country music and some serious blues.

She’s a shaman for sure.

Just in case you were wondering, according to the given birth time for Amy Winehouse, she was born with the Moon at 0° Capricorn: that’s a critical degree which means extra power. It’s also the same degree as the great diva Maria Callas‘ Venus.

So what about Adele? She has not got the Sun or the Moon in the sign of the goatfish. Instead she comes from a generation with a stellium of outer planets in Capricorn, including Neptune who we associate with musicality.

That Neptune trines her Sun-Jupiter conjunction in Taurus, the sign that rules the throat and often goes with a beautiful voice. With Jupiter there, it’s no surprise that she has such a huge sound.

Adele’s Uranus (a spark of genius) is at 0° Capricorn too.

I think we’re in for a treat with the Neptune in Capricorn generation coming of age now.

Cancer, Capricorn, musicians, Neptune, Taurus

Gilly said:

‘Not always’ indeed! I have the Sun, 4 other planets and 2 points in Capricorn, both my parents were wonderful singers – I sing like a cat with its tail on fire.

Can I ask about those with Mars at 0 Cap? Critical sound right, ‘extra power’, not so much. 🙂

Actually, Mars is said to be exalted in Capricorn, which means the action planet is thought to function in this sign better than anywhere else in the Zodiac.

I have one word for you: stamina. At 0 degrees, a lot of stamina. If I wanted a job done, I’d ask you Gilly. In short, lucky you to have such useful energy.

One of the problems for certain Mars placements is a lack of finishing power, but the opposite is true in Capricorn. Not only can you start something (Capricorn is an initiator/a leader) but you have the energy to complete.

This is why Mars is exalted here. The warrior part of your nature actually has a strategy.

P said:

Lucky people, those with Mars in Cap. Their energy is directed by ambition. Whereas Mars in Libra is directed by injustice. Case in point: Moi is highly unmotivated. Unless you make me angry (injustice to myself – or rather, my ego). Then watch me go.

Anonymous said:

I have Mars in Gemini – a lot of energy up and down – but so scattered…

P said:

Hmph. All I have at 0 degs Cap is a lousy Lilith. It’s conjunct Neptune @ 25 degs Sag. And conjunct Juno @ 1 deg Cap. No wonder I’m divorced :D.

@P – Yeesh – Lilith coming up from Hades. Are you scary when you’re (finally) angry?

This makes me even more eager to get the Lilith piece sorted. I have commissioned one for March BTW.

Sabrina said:

I didn’t know about Cap moons and deep voices! I knew the taurus-scorpio axis could give a wonderful voice, but now it makes sense. Freddie Mercury: moon in cap 1 deg widely opposing uranus in gemini(of course!). I also remember hearing Alicia Keys for the first time singing Falling…I could not believe her age then.
p.s Gotta love Adele!

@Sabrina – How could I have missed Freddie! More big and old than deep (I think), if you know what I mean.

Anonymous said:

I also have Moon at 0 degrees Capricorn. Not a singer myself but I do love all of the singers you have listed. They are the ones who sound like they are singing straight to me. Re Amy Winehouse – I had a terrible time when Pluto conjoined my Moon – the worst years of my life by far. Then Uranus started squaring it! I don’t think she had the support network she needed around her to get through all of that hardship. Yet her songs and wonderful voice helped me to get through my own Pluto/Moon years.

@ Thanks for that insight Anon. And well done for surviving.

I’ve been leery writing about Winehouse because of the whole ghoulish feeding frenzy that surrounded her both in life and death. But maybe that’s the way into talking about her.

I think Moon-Pluto must count as the most difficult transit. I had the opposition quite a few years ago and sometimes wonder how I survived. BUT I think the conjunction is probably worse.

P said:

@ Christina: I believe that ‘Bhadra-Kali’ is one of the things I’ve been called when angry.

P said:

Oh, dang, I forgot: Thanks for the Wiwith update (a joke from the TV show Frasier).

Now that’s interesting, P. Bhadrakali = Lilith. I have a story about that which I might save for a post.

Isy Aweigh said:

Oh lovely. Just queried Astro.com and it looks like Pluto will be dancing back and forth across my moon in 2012 and 2013. I didn’t think to dread it until now.

Barbara said:

Another very interesting post Christina. I love Adele’s voice and it is staggering that she is only 21!!!! I never really thought about the connection of nice voices and Capricorn but now that I read your post I totally agree and I do see a similar tone/colour to the voices you have mentioned. Another Moon in Cap Singer I adored is Jeff Buckley.

Esme said:

Brody Dalle of the Distillers and Spinerette, also a sun in Cap, has the punk version of this voice. It is extraordinary, Courtney Love wishes she had this voice.

Lordy Lordy is my fave song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fioLxwKhMY4

Tiffany Manning said:

Very interested in the effect for someone who has Sun (9°36’2), Moon 20°39’00) and Mercury all in Capricorn, all in the 11th house. A frustrated musician? ( totally driven but I suspect extremely frustrated)