RIP Steve Jobs

October 6, 2011

Steve Jobs made the world a better place.

He was only 56 when he died yesterday but his vision has already changed the way so many of us live our lives now – and the way we imagine the future.

In the summer I wrote a piece about him using his own inspirational words. To read it click here. I think he sums himself up better than I ever could.

But I’d like to point out a few transits and progressions to his natal chart yesterday, which are very interesting.

I’ve mentioned before that Jupiter, the greater benefit, is often active when people pass on. The deaths of the musicians Jeff Buckley and Kurt Cobain, and the psychoanalysts Carl Jung and Sigmund Freud are examples. To read that piece click here.

Jupiter is currently passing through Jobs 8th house of death. It’s a planet we associate with blessing and also with taking a long journey. It’s transiting exactly opposite his progressed Ascendant at 7° Scorpio. And speaking of progressions – his pr Sun, Moon and Mercury are also in the 8th house.

By transit, Saturn has just moved out of Jobs first house of the physical body. This sometimes means the end of an illness or the end of a struggle. Saturn is the Lord of Ending. We know that Jobs has just had a long hard battle with cancer.

Pluto, the Lord of the Underworld has been hovering around Jobs North Node for some time now. The North Node is called by some a karmic point, a point of destiny, the direction in which we are going.

This suggests Jobs achieved his destiny fully in this life. The Lord of the Underworld was waiting to guide his soul on the next stage of its journey at the very exit gate, the North Node.

death, Jupiter, obituaries, people, RIP

gawd_almighty said:

Yes, he was a brilliant man and by all accounts a really nice bloke, but what is bugging me is the way he’s being described by one and all as a ‘visionary’. Okay, I admit that I’m a language pedant, but someone has to be. My point is that for me, ‘visionary’ describes a person who has changed the way we think – such as Ghandi or Freud – not someone who has simply designed an (admittably remarkable) array of electronic appliances. “But he’s changed the way we work!”, I hear you cry; well yes, I agree. However, using a ballpoint pen instead of a pencil will change the way you write, but it won’t produce the clever stuff – that is done by the brain (which of course was invented by Bill Gates in 1972). The plaudits being heaped on Jobs are, to my mind, a measure of the extent to which we have deified technology, as opposed to ideas, which have fallen out of fashion rather in popular culture.

@ gawd_almighty – I see where you’re coming from – as an ideas person myself rather than a maker of electronic goods. Personally, I just want the stuff to work BUT I thank god for Jobs on a very personal level because of this…

I hate ugly. Can’t abide it. And boy PCs used to be horrid.

I’ve always used a Mac (since the late 80s would you believe) and it’s always been pretty and perky and fun. I remember some self-styled techie explaining to me that the advantage of a PC was that you could “look under the hood” – to which my answer was, “why the f would I want to do that?”

The reason Jobs is described as visionary is because he understood that personal computers were not for techies but for us, the people – and we prefer things that look and feel good. We deserve to have beautiful everyday objects.

He understood that beauty is not just important, it is essential.

That is how he changed the way we think – or reminded us of something fundamental.

gawd_almighty said:

Yes, I can understand that – as I say, I’m just an inveterate and beleaguered pedant. Jobs was brilliant but not my idea of a visionary. In the same way that I resent Gianni Versace and Prince being referred to as geniuses, as then we are left with no suitable adjective for Shakespeare, Michelangelo, etc.

Don’t feel beleaguered. The Oxford Astrologer likes to embrace a bit of pedantry.

Versace – I’m with you all the way. But Prince – now – he could well be the Michelangelo of pop!

gawd_almighty said:

I confess, Christina, that I have Saturn in Capricorn in my first house. Prince as the new Michelangelo is a way too frothy, fun concept for me!

Sabrina said:

Christina I was waiting for your post on Jobs. Really wonderful the contact of Pluto on his NN. And being Jupiter part of his departure also sounds like a well deserved liberation.
“Jobs achieved his destiny fully in this life” couldn’t be better described!
I was wondering yesterday is his mercury in Aqu. being almost unaspected, was the key for being able to follow his own ideas. Aquarius is clear, but few or no aspects, does it make it stronger?

@Sabrina – liberation – that’s a good word

I think you are definitely on to something with that Mercury in Aquarius insight. He certainly was remarkable in his ability to go against “orthodox” opinion. And it is basically unaspected except for a wide square from Saturn (Aquarius’ ruler). It’s also the chart ruler of course – and in the playful 5th. Very idiosyncratic.

kicksotic said:

gawd_almighty,

I’m as much a language pedant as you and Steve Jobs was a Visionary.

Rather than ideas falling out of fashion in favor of technology, it was the IDEAS he had which created iTunes and the iPod, changing not only how we purchase, but also how we listen to music. Because of the success of this, the recording industry was forced to change and adapt in irrevocable ways.

The entertainment industry is also changing how it works because of the ideas Steve Jobs made real. Being able to digitally download movies and watch them whenever and wherever has forced a whole industry to respond in a different way. Because Steve Jobs asked Why not? and made this idea real, millions now watch what they want when they want on devices that sit in their hand.

And because of Steve Jobs, independent filmmakers now find their movies being watched far and wide as digital downloads via iTunes, reaching an audience they never would have reached through theatrical distribution alone.

I’m scratching the surface here and I’m sure there is much I’m completely unaware of that affect even millions more — let’s not even go into how many friends I have who edit their own films now on their Macs –, but Steve Jobs changed how many of us communicate and work.

His success may have manifested via technology, but don’t forget where it all began: in his mind, his imagination, as a question, a thought, a curiosity, and, yes, as an idea.

So, I have no hesitation at all whatsoever in calling him a true Visionary.

kicksotic

@kicksotic – anyone with a pen name like that is a language gymnast!

gawd_almighty said:

@kicksotic – Okay, I’ll just about accept ‘visionary in the entertainment industry’, but that’s my limit. I think we’re getting carried away here; it’s not as if he invented the Internet, after all. A lot of the lavish praise he’s receiving comes, I believe, from the fact that Science has become the new Religion, and is now just as dogmatic about the model of reality it describesas Religion used to be. Thus it seems logical that the new saints and visionaries should be chosen from the world of science and technology. Just my opinion.

Laura Serena said:

RIP. It does really seem like he just completed his work and it was time to move on. The fact that this happened so quickly after he retired from Apple really suggests to me that in this life, his task was complete.

I like your analysis of his transits and I’m fascinated by the concept of Saturn as the Lord of Ending. I had not heard that description before.

Steve Jobs was a visionary in my book. For him to envision people having their own computers, and ones with a graphical interface at that, at the time that he did — and to believe they would actually want such a thing — it was very forward looking, and it did change the way we think. Sure, he wasn’t the only one with that vision, but he sure helped to make it a reality.

I am old enough to remember a time before personal computers, and I remember when my parents got their first one, which was an IBM, not an Apple. They were unattractive in those days, and they couldn’t really do much, and they were definitely for geeks. Jobs somehow knew that someday we would all want one, anyway. I don’t consider that something that was obvious to many people at the time.

Anonymous said:

I agree with @gawd_almighty. I feel a little nauseated by all the praise for Jobs, and I agree with the point about deifying science & technology.

I can agree with “genius,” insofar as he did envision something beyond what others could and bring it into physical form to massive acclaim that realigned frameworks everywhere. That’s a tremendous accomplishment. I do wonder if we would care as much if it weren’t within the realm of entertainment. It sort of naturally connects w/a willingness to be dazzled. A spectacle, like the gladiators or the circus. Humans like to be amazed.

Shakespeare and Michelangelo, though, resonate deeply in the human heart. And I think design can, although I wonder how much of it is actually about convenience and something shiny. People loved the washing machine, too, and it also revolutionized life around the world. In fact, freeing up women so they could work in offices, using Jobs’ Macintosh computers.

@Anonymous – I think that your point about entertainment is actually very very well put.

That is the main function of the masses – that is us – we are here to consume entertainment. It is bread and circuses.

I am sure we wouldn’t be going on about Jobs so much if his main achievements had not been in the entertainment industries. Of course, you could argue that his genius was to realise that computer and the mobile phone are toys as well as tools.

And don’t get me started on freeing up women for work!!!